Wednesday, January 23, 2008


My name is Matthew Deery, and this is my site (I'm on the left).

I'm 24 years old.

I am currently attending University of Minnesota seeking a Journalism Degree. Ideally I would love to be a screenwriter or a film critic. I also have ambition to be a sports writer or a play by play announcer. I enjoy being a part of making movies when the opportunity comes around. It is a blast to make your own movie.

If you don't like movies, we may have a difficult time getting along. Though I may not voice my distaste, I will ignore everything you say because in my head I will be continuously cycling through the question, "How can you not like movies?"

Favorite movies:
I really have too many to list, but for the sake of a list here it goes.

All Star Wars, LOTR Trilogy, Rounders, Avatar, The Hurricane, Apollo 13, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, V for Vendetta, The Bourne Trilogy, October Sky, Good Will Hunting, Saving Private Ryan, Equilibrium, Titanic, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Jurassic Park, Inside Man, Kill Bill 1&2, Superbad, Finding Nemo (yep) and many many more.

I have many favorite movie quotes, but here are few.


Walter Sobchak: Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

One comes from Clint Eastwood in the 1992 Western called Unforgiven.

It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have.

This one comes from Julian Moore in Children of Men.

You know that ringing in your ears?? That eeeeeee??? That's the cells in your ears dying. It's kind of like their swan song. Once the ringing stops you'll never hear that frequency again...so enjoy it while it lasts.


This one is from October Sky and is one of the great all time movie moments. Homer (Jake Gyllenhaal) explains to his father (Chris Cooper) that he is his hero.

John (father): Heard ya met your big hero, didn't even know it.

Homer: Look... I know you and me don't exactly see eye to eye on certain things.
I mean, we don't see eye to eye on just about anything. But I come to believe that I got it in me to be somebody in this world. And it's not because I am so different from you either.
It's cause I'm the same. I can be just as hardheaded and just as tough. I only hope I can be just as good a man as you are. I mean, sure, Dr. Von Braun's a great scientist...but he isn't my hero.


Possibly my favorite comes from Ed Harris portraying the real life hero Gene Kranz in Apollo 13.

Well, we are going to have to figure it out. I want people in our simulators working re-entry scenarios. I want you guys to find every engineer who designed every switch, every circuit, every transistor, and every light bulb that's up there. Then I want you to talk to the guy on the assembly line who actually built the thing. Find out how to squeeze every amp out both of these god damn machines. I want this mark all the way back to Earth with time to spare. We've never lost an American in space. We're sure as hell not going to lose one on my watch. Failure is not an option!


Even if a movie for the most part is bad, if it has great dialogue I could love it. Being a writer, dialogue and storytelling in movies are of utmost importance to me.


(Me and my sister Meghan) 

Share Your Thoughts Through Your Facebook Account