Friday, March 5, 2010

I AM INTRIGUED...


The second trailer for Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time has just hit the web, and I must say that this trailer has me anticipating the film's May 28th release. I was skeptical after seeing the first trailer that featured little reference to a plot and nothing but overblown typical Bruckheimer action sequences. But this new trailer has dialogue that caught my attention, some reference to appealing story arcs, and was also comical.

The biggest reason I have been so cynical towards this movie is because of Jake Gyllenhaal's skin color. He is not Persian, or even Middle Eastern for that matter; but is playing the role of a Persian Prince. The Caucasian character choice is obviously based solely on Gyllenhaal's marketability compared to that of a no name actor that fits the dark skinned profile.

I can't even think of any prominent Middle Eastern actors, or actors that even look from that part of the world. Naveen Andrews comes to mind who plays Sayid Jarrah on the hit (& awesome) show LOST. Dev Patel hit the scene last year in Slumdog Millionaire, but he hardly looks like an action hero (despite actually holding a black belt in Tae Kwon Do). You could also make a case for the star of the Harold and Kumar films, Kal Penn. But that brings me back to the not looking like an action hero point. So with those things considered, Gyllenhaal looks like the best choice despite my early annoyance with the casting decision.



I think this second trailer strengthens the case for this movie actually being a decent flick. Whether a proper screenplay has been composed to accentuate the stunning action is yet to be known. Plus this movie features one of the hottest females on the entire planet in Gemma Arterton. She could be in an eight hour movie that featured her working an entire shift as a McDonald's employee and I'd pay to watch it all.


If one thing is certain, it's that I will be at a midnight showing checking this movie out to see if it is for real like the first Pirates of the Caribbean or a computer generated piece of junk like the third.

Next I wanted to promote another movie trailer new to the internet called The Joneses. It has been awhile since I have seen David Duchovny or Demi Moore in a movie, and they are the stars in this flick. The concept for the film hooked my attention with the plot revolving around a group of elite sales people posing as a family living the perfect life in order to appeal to the consumer market, i.e. the people they associate with. They pretend as a "family" to buy and enjoy the latest consumer goods, but in reality they are just acting like real life commercials to try and increase product sales.



I am relieved to see Demi Moore still has some movie roles left in her and isn't resigned to dealing with Ashton Kutcher's annoying jokes all day. Demi has to be the greatest looking 47 year old on this planet, and I eagerly anticipate the April 16th release of The Joneses for that very reason and Moore.... errr I mean more. Damn I'm good.

*

Share Your Thoughts Through Your Facebook Account